My approach was to open up the first floor and insert a modern welcoming kitchen filled with light from a series of traditional windows encompassing the garden view. The history and style of the house were not forgotten as its current family enjoys their lifestyle space.
HOW TO MAKE SPACE WITHOUT ADDING SQUARE FOOTAGE:
– Spaces are configured for lifestyle and use.
– Light and outdoor views create space and breathing room
– Borrowed views from room to room create interest
– Create an easy flow of circulation through- out the house.
– Create harmony of light and space.
HONORING THE HOUSE:
– Create a fresh approach to the past.
– Modern elements are inserted into the house rather than altering the architectural style.
– The paned windows are in keeping with the house and are appropriate in scale and style.
– Materials are appropriate, modern, and fresh.
Seattle, WA | Remodel Completed 2016 | Contractor: Caspers Built | Building Area: 2,700 sf | Photos: Tim Bies